Thursday, January 19, 2006

What a combination!

I’ve got a mix of Hosanna and Queen in my head, crazy.
You know all of those news stories and articles in the paper about how the kids in the U.S. are getting really bad grades compared to, lets say, kids in Korea...well, I’ve just been thinking about them. I don’t remember what I was watching but they were talking about why many people think this is happening. They said one reason is the fact that instead of just teaching the facts and the things we need to know from the beginning, we are taught that everyone succeeds and everyone can reach their goals if they,
"*shoot for the stars!*" While other kids are being taught the basics of something they can build on throughout their education we are being told that if we set our minds to it everyone wins. When they did that big study a while ago and the Korean kids were in first and the U.S. was last, the kids from the U.S., with their eyes set on their dreams, thought that they came in first only to be crushed in the end. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t inspire the younger ones. By all means, tell them they can do anything IF THEY SET THEIR MIND TO IT AND STAY THE COURSE. Many kids are led to believing everything will be alright because their teachers told them that they will fly one day but soon they find out that while they were getting their little ribbons saying, "everyone’s a winner," other kids were working hard to go on to better things. It just kills me that in grade school everyone is taught to aim for success but in high school the rugs pulled out from under you and now all of those, "im a winner" ribbons don’t matter anymore. For goodness sakes, give they speeches! Motivate the kids but don’t throw them into the false sense of security that they will be president just cuz they have dreams. As Chris was saying, we really need to improve the whole education thing...wow, this ended up being much longer than I wanted it to be. I guess my point is to teach the kids to dream big, but in order for anything to happen they’ve got to work above their limits.

"I gotta be cool relax, get hip
Get on my track's
Take a back seat, hitch-hike
And take a long ride on my motor bike
Until I'm ready (Ready Freddie)
Crazy little thing called love

This thing called love I just can't handle it
this thing called love I must get round to it
I ain't ready
Crazy little thing called love "

4 comments:

Chris said...

holy freaking crap


you are amazing

Amanda the Amazing


If it were less expensive and difficult to obtain i would give you a big chunk of gold from that Fort Knox. but since I can't i'll give you a bunch of stars


************************************************
**************************************

Silverstride said...

That's ok Chris, stars are just as good. Why else would I put people in a box of stars in the band blast?

Who can tell me how many elephants are in this cup?

father michael said...

Hosanna? Um ... I wasn't a fan. Sorry. Queen's good though. Realism is definitely needed in school. I just hate how a lot of the stuff you learn in high school and college only really apply in school. We need more philosophy! Check out Teresa's Blog (http://teresahamillsblog.blogspot.com/) for a pretty good post on education that she had a while ago.

Chris said...

11, amanda. 11.